Tuesday, March 12, 2013

finding my rhythm


Hello!

It’s strange to think that I have been in Africa for six weeks! It feels like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to everyone back home, but at the same time it feels like ages ago. I have struggled to update my blog for a few weeks now… it’s so hard to process and put into writing what I am seeing and how God is working. But I will try my best to update and give prayer requests!

Children from an informal settlement after an afternoon of sports
I have been here long enough to begin to establish a routine. Every Monday through Thursday afternoon we run a sports outreach program and as I believe I have mentioned before, my role has changed from helping run the sports program to now caring for the younger children (8 years and younger) that show up to the sports field. I am convinced that the little children are telling other little children that someone is there to play with them and more children show up each week. That is so cool because I know God is using me to love on these little children for that one hour that they come out, but it can be very overwhelming! Just picture this… you alone or maybe with one helper, with 30 or so Xhosa or Afrikaans speaking children and no interpreter! Now, I love children and without a doubt feel called to minister to these children, but I’m not going to lie… I panic every time I see all those kids! And in their faces you can just see how desperate they are for attention. From a human perspective, that is so overwhelming and feels a bit daunting, but I know that God has sent me there and will equip me with all that I need to accomplish His will. For example, we have a team of architecture students from Germany here to expand our baby unit and every afternoon we take two of them with us. One of them always comes with me to help with the little ones. It is so helpful just to have another set of hands, but I want to do more than just keep an eye on the kids, I really want to show them the love of Christ and with more helping hands it is easier and the adult-child ratio is a bit better.


Masiphumelele Preschool
An update from my last blog about the development of preschools in the Grabouw area… We have found a tiny little preschool called Masiphumelele that we want to come alongside to help them grow and better themselves. Right now the school consists of two teachers (with little to no education) and 31 children ages 3-6. The school is on a little dirt plot and its only building is a freight container with two windows and one door. The goal for this school is to make it bigger by adding another container and a kitchen to accommodate more children, which will make it possible for more children to attend preschool in that area. We have been developing a very good relationship with the teachers there and the teachers are very comfortable and happy to have me come once a week to do a lesson, craft, or some sort of activity with them. We really have a heart for this school and want to use the little skills we have to help them grow and be more than just a holding place for children. I am really excited about this! I have a little education and experience in early childhood education and am so happy for these skills to be put to good use!


Children of Masiphumelele Preschool
What is so awesome about this work is that because everything is a routine, I am starting to develop relationships with the children I see every week. Just today, for example, a little boy at one of our sports clubs ran up to me with a huge smile on his face and gave me a big, long hug! I love getting to that place where you’re no longer a celebrity, but someone they know and trust.

I am definitely being stretched in many ways. I knew that that would happen, but I could not imagine how intense it would be and how deep God would be working in me. I know this is all to make me more like Him and to make me more a lover of His people, for the hurt, the lost and the lonely and less focused on my selfish desires. I am so thankful for this season of life, however difficult and painful some days may be, this is really a season full of blessing and growth.



Happy children at the playground!

Things to Pray For:
  • That I would allow God to use me; that His will be done and not mine.
  • That I would continue to lay everything at the Lord’s feet and not try to carry everything on my own.

1 comment: